Re: A stop job is running for...

On 12/03/2015 01:23 PM, Rick Thomas wrote:
Hi JP

On Dec 3, 2015, at 9:18 AM, Jape Person <japers@comcast.net> wrote:

On 12/03/2015 05:22 AM, Himanshu Shekhar wrote:
The complete message is really important. Perhaps, I would
investigate.

Hello!

I did give the complete messages. Both start with

A stop job is running for...

The endings are

Make remote CUPS printers available locally

and

Network Time Synchronization

I've checked for CUPS and NTP errors in the logs and have found
nothing. I presume that's because this happens during shutdown, but
haven't done enough research to be sure.

----------------------------

One thing that might help (you may already have done it, but it can’t
hurt to ask) is to make the systemd journal persistent.  This way you
can examine after the fact the log messages and other journal stuff
that occur during a system shutdown/restart.  You do that by doing

sudo mkdir /var/log/journal	 # make the journal persistent

Then reboot.  After that you can do

sudo journalctl —list-boots

To see a list of boot numbers (32-digit hex IDs) for which the entire
journal is available along with the date/times of start and end.

To examine the journal for a particular boot number, use

sudo journalctl —boot=<boot number>

This is all covered in the journalctl man page, which you’ve probably
read, but you might have missed those details.

Another hint about the systemd Journal (and log files in general):
when searching for messages relating to, for example, the ntp daemon,
it helps to use the “-i” (Ignore case) option.  Sometimes ntp is
spelled NTP in log messages.  Same goes for CUPS.

Enjoy! Rick

Thanks, Rick. I knew about the issue searching for different cases, and was vaguely aware that the journal could be made persistent. I don't actually see that particular info in the man page. Maybe I'll try to get some sleep and reread it more carefully.

Thanks again.