Re: Trying to remove "architecture i386"

Sharon Kimble <boudiccas@skimble.plus.com> writes:

> I am running a "amd64" version of jessie and in an effort to get
> 'crossover_14.1.11-1.deb' installed, which is 32-bit. To do this I issued the
> command -
>
> ╭────
> │sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
> ╰────
>
> and then -
>
> ╭────
> │dpkg --print-foreign-architectures
> ╰────
>
> then I did a 'apt-get update' and tried to install crossover again. I've
> now given up trying to instal it and wish to move back to just being a
> 64-bit machine using amd64 packages only. I've therefore done -
>
> ╭────
> │sudo dpkg --remove-architecture i386
> ╰────
>
> which failed saying -
>
> dpkg: error: cannot remove architecture 'i386' currently in use by the database
>
> How then can I remove 'i386' please, or should I just cut my losses and reinstall?

I think that I've resolved the situation by -

deb     [arch=amd64] http://foo
deb-src [arch=amd64] http://foo

in my sources.list.

I installed all amd64 packages that were shown as being removed in
yesterdays logwatch, and then I manually removed all the i386 packages
From /var/cache/apt/archives and then rebooted.

Everything came back up successfully, and I then "sudo dpkg
--remove-architecture i386" and checked using "dpkg
--print-foreign-architectures" which showed a zero response, and I then
"dpkg --print-architecture" which showed "amd64"!

Mission accomplished!

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk