Re: SATA HD hotplug "Authentication is required" (SOLVED)

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 18:25:28 +0100
Ansgar Burchardt <"Ansgar Burchardt"@43-1.org> wrote:

> [...]
> > Thanks; I should have asked:
> >
> > How do I get it to automount (without asking for authentification) ?
>
> I think udisks treats drives attached via eSATA as "system" devices for
> which the default policykit rules only allow mounting with
> authentication.  These should show up as "HintSystem: true" in the
> output of "udisksctl dump".
>
> You could try marking them as UDISKS_SYSTEM=0 in a udev rule. See
>  <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Udev#Mark_internal_SATA_ports_as_eSATA>

Grateful thanks, that worked perfectly.

I repost it here, for the edification of the multitude:, in case the link stops working:

Mark internal SATA ports as eSATA

If you connected a eSATA bay or an other eSATA adapter the system will still recognize this disk as an internal SATA drive. you will be asked for your root password all the time. The following rule will mark the specified SATA-Port as an external eSATA-Port. With that, a normal GNOME user can connect their eSATA drives to that port like a USB drive, without any root password and so on.

Add to
	/etc/udev/rules.d/10-esata.rules
a line:
	DEVPATH=="/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/host4/*", ENV{UDISKS_SYSTEM}="0"

Note: The DEVPATH for your setup can be found after connecting the eSATA drive with the following commands (replace sdb accordingly):

	# udevadm info -q path -n /dev/sdb
	/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/host4/target4:0:0/4:0:0:0/block/sdb
or
	# find /sys/devices/ -name sdb
	/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f.2/host4/target4:0:0/4:0:0:0/block/sdb

If rules fail to reload automatically

	# udevadm control --reload

Cheers,

Ron.