Re: what is ri in dpkg -l about?

On Sat, Nov 28, 2015 at 01:02:58PM +0100, alberto fuentes wrote:
desired = remove, status = install

I dont remember marking this packages in anyway, nor are they removed on a
full-upgrade or autoremove. So what are these packages about?

Luckily, "dpkg -l" gives you a nice header explaining what the three status columns mean:

$ dpkg -l |grep -vE ^ii

||/ Name                                          Version

^^^ This is the header. Notice the ASCII art tracing the three lines of information to three columns? The first column is the desired state of the package. The second column is the ACTUAL status of the package. The third column indicates any errors.

So, you're excluding all packages with state "ii", which are packages which you WANT installed and which ARE installed. Packages which are "ri" are package which you WANT to remove, but which ARE installed. In other words, dpkg (or apt, or some pther package manager) has marked the package for removable, but that removal hasn't happened yet. I imagine this could happen, for example, if a removal command was interrupted.

You can also see any actions that dpkg thinks are pending by running "dpkg --audit".

--
For more information, please reread.