Re: installing Debian on USB flash drive for use in many machines

On Sat 28 Nov 2015 at 12:37:12 -0800, David Christensen wrote:

[...]

> I have installed Debian 8 amd64 onto a USB flash drive in i72600s with the
> following tasks:
>
>     SSH server
>     standard system utilities
>
> Very little additional software has been added.

Installing to a USB flash drive does not differ from installing to a
fixed hard disk. The same tootls would be used for trouble shooting.

> The SSD seems to work correctly in both machines.
>
> The USB flash drive seems to work correctly in i72600s.

This would indicate that what is in /e/n/i (you are using ifupdown?) is
sensible.

> But, Ethernet does not work when I put the USB flash drive in i72720qm.

Check /e/n/i. Check the logs (journalctl) for what happens with eth0 (?)
and DHCPDISCOVER. Try 'ifdown -v eth0' 'followed by 'ifup -v eth'

> I'm trying to figure out why Ethernet does not work in i72720qm when using
> the USB flash drive.
>
> My theory is that I'm missing software (device driver?) on the USB flash
> drive that is required to make Ethernet work on i72720qm.

Does the network get set up successfully from a netinst ISO on a USB
stick?