installing Debian on USB flash drive for use in many machines

debian-user:

I am continuing to work on the idea of installing Debian on a USB flash drive for use in many machines, primarily for diagnostics, maintenance, repair, backup, archive, imaging, etc..

Yes, I am aware of Debian Live, etc., but I'm going down this path as much as a learning exercise as for "Git 'r done!".

I am using two computers for my experiments:

1. i72600s -- homebrew, Intel DQ67SW motherboard, Intel Q67 Express chipset, Intel Core i7-2600S processor.

2. i72720qm -- Dell Latitude E6520 laptop, Intel QM67 Express chipset, Intel Core i7-2720QM processor.

As you can see, the machines are somewhat similar.

I have installed Debian 8 amd64 onto an SSD in i72600s with the following tasks:

    Debian desktop environment
	Xfce
    Print server
    SSH server
    standard system utilities

I have also installed cifs-utils, virtualbox, and some other software.

I have installed Debian 8 amd64 onto a USB flash drive in i72600s with the following tasks:

    SSH server
    standard system utilities

Very little additional software has been added.

The SSD seems to work correctly in both machines.

The USB flash drive seems to work correctly in i72600s.

But, Ethernet does not work when I put the USB flash drive in i72720qm.

I'm trying to figure out why Ethernet does not work in i72720qm when using the USB flash drive.

My theory is that I'm missing software (device driver?) on the USB flash drive that is required to make Ethernet work on i72720qm.

So, I have run 'lsmod' on i72720qm in each of the two configurations. Here is a comparison ('<' indicates module only present when running USB flash drive, '>' indicates module only present when running SSD, no marker indicates module present in both cases):

< usb_storage
ablk_helper
ac
aes_x86_64
aesni_intel
af_alg
ahci
algif_skcipher
auth_rpcgss
autofs4
battery
btrfs
button
cdrom
cfg80211
coretemp
crc32_pclmul
crc32c_intel
crc_itu_t
crc_t10dif
crct10dif_common
crct10dif_generic
crct10dif_pclmul
cryptd
dcdbas
dell_laptop
dell_smo8800
dell_wmi
dm_crypt
dm_mod
drm
drm_kms_helper
e1000e
ehci_hcd
ehci_pci
evdev
firewire_core
firewire_ohci
fscache
gf128mul
ghash_clmulni_intel
glue_helper
i2c_algo_bit
i2c_core
i2c_i801
iTCO_vendor_support
iTCO_wdt
intel_powerclamp
intel_rapl
iwlwifi
joydev
kvm
kvm_intel
libahci
libata
lockd
lpc_ich
lrw
mei
mei_me
mfd_core
mmc_core
mxm_wmi
nfs
nfs_acl
nfsd
nouveau
oid_registry
parport
parport_pc
pcspkr
ppdev
pps_core
processor
psmouse
ptp
raid6_pq
rfkill
scsi_mod
sd_mod
sdhci
sdhci_pci
serio_raw
sg
shpchp
snd
snd_hda_codec
snd_hda_codec_generic
snd_hda_codec_hdmi
snd_hda_codec_idt
snd_hda_controller
snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep
snd_pcm
snd_timer
soundcore
sparse_keymap
sr_mod
sunrpc
thermal
thermal_sys
tpm
tpm_tis
ttm
usb_common
usbcore
video
wmi
x86_pkg_temp_thermal
xor
> arc4
> cifs
> crc16
> dns_resolver
> ecb
> ext4
> fuse
> hid
> hid_generic
> hmac
> jbd2
> lp
> mbcache
> md4
> nls_utf8
> pci_stub
> usbhid
> vboxdrv
> vboxnetadp
> vboxnetflt
> vboxpci

Of the 21 additional modules (arc4 ... vboxpci) that are present when running the SSD, I don't recognize which one(s) might be what I need to get Ethernet working on i72720qm.

(Then again, I don't even know if I'm barking up the right tree.)

I have attempted to RTFM and STFW, but have found both too much and too little information; much of it obsolete.

Any ideas?

David