Re: Changing Monitor that gdm uses

On Fri, Nov 27, 2015 at 07:40:43PM -0500, Cindy-Sue Causey wrote:

> +++
> If xorg.conf is missing for some reason, Xorg will probe your hardware
> on every startup [...]

> Switch to a console as root (not a terminal emulator in X), then run:
>
> # /etc/init.d/gdm stop && /etc/init.d/gdm3 stop && /etc/init.d/kdm
> stop && /etc/init.d/xdm stop
> $ cd /etc/X11/
> # Xorg -configure
>
> Alternatively, reboot the machine in single user mode, then run:
>
> $ cd /etc/X11/
> # Xorg -configure
> +++
>
> That was found by throwing gdm3 into my search query. Actually already
> had that page opened from the search just before that hadn't
> referenced gdm3. Very last part says that will walk us through the
> process.
>
> Some of why I'm posting it is to (also) wonder out loud if you had
> stopped and restarted gdm/gdm3/kdm/xdm related to making your changes
> manually [...]

I couldn't follow exactly what your problem is -- I'll assume you are
wondering why stop all those gdm, kdm, whatever.

Well, if you are going to run Xorg -configure, this is going to mess
with your video hardware (to probe what is there). That won't work
well if there is an X server already running.

Now usually, an X server is started with one of those display managers
(gdm, kdm, and so on), so the wiki took the shotgun approach, instead
of trying to explain things.

The problem with this shotgun approach is:

(a) there are more display managers than those above (Debian's
    x-display-manager is provided by gdm3, kdm, lightdm, lxdm,
    sddm, slim, wdm, xdm -- no less; and I'm sure there are a
    couple of others out there!)

(b) some people (here on list there are some!) don't use a display
    manager at all (they invoke startx).

So the wiki might better have said "stop any X servers running on your
machine" -- and then proceed to explain what that means and how to
achieve that.

- -- t