Re: Changing Monitor that gdm uses

On 11/25/15, Alan Chandler <alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk> wrote:
> My desktop Debian Jessie PC  just got a new monitor to replace an old
> one that failed. Because the new one is bigger than my previous main
> monitor, I have swapped them round so that my bigger 27inch monitor is
> the primary one and the original 24inch one has become my secondary.
>
> I have altered my /etc/X11/xorg.conf so that the new one is the Primary
> one.
>
> Section "Device"
>      Identifier "H67 Integrated Graphics"
>      Driver "intel"
>      Option "Monitor-HDMI2" "Iiyama 27in"
>      Option "Monitor-HDMI1" "Iiyama 24in"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>      Identifier "Iiyama 27in"
>      Option "DPMS"
>      Option "Primary"
>      Option "Position" "0 0"
>      Option "PreferredMode" "1920x1080"
>      Option "Position" "1920 0"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Monitor"
>      Identifier "Iiyama 24in"
>      Option "DPMS"
>      Option "PreferredMode" "1920x1080"
>      Option "Position" "1920 0"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Screen"
>      Identifier "Default Screen"
>      Device "H67 Integrated Graphics"
>      Monitor "Iiyama 27in"
>      DefaultDepth 24
>      Subsection "Display"
>             Depth 24
>             Modes "1920x1080" "1024x768" "640x480"
>      EndSubSection
> EndSection
>

> But gdm3 has decided it is going to come up on the secondary monitor.
> Once the desktop starts the order of the displays is probably* also
> wrong, but of course can be fixed in the display settings
>
> * I say that because the main monitor is numbered 2 and the old monitor
> is numbered 1.
>
> Where is the detection of which monitor is which take place, and how do
> I tell it to change the order?

You stated that you caught your own duplicate entry for:

Option "Position"

After you said that, I went back and was looking again at your first
email just to see what you were talking about. Now I'm also seeing two
entries for:

Section "Monitor"

This is out of my league so I have to ask.... is it normal to have two
entries for that declaration?

Just thinking out loud..... :)

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs around the front yard calling gobble-gobble-gobble *