Re: installing hplip-3.15.11 for my HP Deskjet_1000_J110

Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:

> On Fri 27 Nov 2015 at 10:08:44 +0000, Sharon Kimble wrote:
>
>> Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:
>>
>> > Does the machine print with
>> >
>> >   lp -d print_queue <any_pdf>
>>
>> No, it says -

>> lp -d print_queue /home/boudiccas/research/adoc/herbal/herbals-main.pdf
>> lp: The printer or class does not exist.
>>

>> >   lp -d print_queue <any_text_file> ?
>
> 'print_queue' is a placeholder for the name of your print queue. It is
> also known as 'the printer'. Perhaps I should have written <print_queue>.
> 'lpstat -a' will give you the names of all your queues.

Yes, thanks. I printed out that pdf but again it was just blank pages,
so I set the printer up to use colour instead of just grey-scale black,
and tried again. And this time it printed, except it wasn't black but a
slightly coloured grey, so I then decided that the black cartridge was
knackered. I knew that I'd got some unopened cartridges so I dug out a
black one, and now it prints all in black! Hooray!

>> And yet its showing in cups as being installed and prints out a
>> cups-test-page, and when its printing its shown as "Active"!
>>
>> However, I did not 'clear' cups before rebooting. Maybe I should delete
>> the printer from cups, close it down, unplug it, plug it in again, and
>> turn it back on, and then reinstall it using cups?
>
> If you are unable to print PDFs and text files with lp you might have to
> do this.

That's what I did do, and also changed the black cartridge and its now
printing very well, thanks! :)

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk