Re: installing hplip-3.15.11 for my HP Deskjet_1000_J110

Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> writes:

> On Thu 26 Nov 2015 at 19:03:49 +0000, Sharon Kimble wrote: > I've been
>trying to set up my HP Deskjet_1000_J110 which is recognised > by
>jessie, but when I print a test page it does it with no problem, but >
>when I try to print a letter from libreoffice, it just churns out blank
>> pages.

I've 'apt-get removed' hplip-3.14.6-1, and then deleted all hplip stuff,
especially related to hplip-3.15.11. I then rebooted to completely clear
anything hp-related in /tmp.

I then installed hplip-3.14.6-1+b2, along with hplip-gui,
printer-driver-postscript-hp, and hplip-data, and then generated a new
menu.

There is now nothing related to hplip in any part of my fluxbox menus,
whereas there used to be. I've tried to use hplip-toolbox, hp-check -t,
and to each and every hp-related command it says "command not found".

I've done -

lsusb -v

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 03f0:8811 Hewlett-Packard
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
<snip>
  idVendor           0x03f0 Hewlett-Packard
  idProduct          0x8811
  bcdDevice            1.00
  iManufacturer           1 HP
  iProduct                2 Deskjet 1000 J110 series
  iSerial                 3 CN32K18GQB05YD
<snip>

so its at least showing as being installed!

> Does the machine print with
>
>   lp -d print_queue <any_pdf>

No, it says -

lp -d print_queue /home/boudiccas/research/adoc/herbal/herbals-main.pdf
lp: The printer or class does not exist.

>   lp -d print_queue <any_text_file> ?

And yet its showing in cups as being installed and prints out a
cups-test-page, and when its printing its shown as "Active"!

However, I did not 'clear' cups before rebooting. Maybe I should delete
the printer from cups, close it down, unplug it, plug it in again, and
turn it back on, and then reinstall it using cups?

> Does it print from Iceweasel or other applications? Is Libreoffice the
> only problem application?
>
>> So I've downloaded hplip-3.15.11 and tried to run it to install it, but
>
> Your printer has been supported since hplip version 3.10.9. It appears
> to me you are setting yourself up for a load of work without proper
> investigation behind it.

Which is why I'm using the debian hplip now.

Thanks
Sharon.
TGmeds = http://www.tgmeds.org.uk
Debian 8.0, fluxbox 1.3.7, emacs 24.5.1