Re: No grub after Installing Debian 8 on Laptop

Dwijesh wrote:

>Hello. I have a Dell Inspiron 7537 with UEFI and Windows 8.1 installed on
>it. I have installed Debian 8 on it however I don't get Grub after
>installation. I have also noticed that Grub did not install during
>installation.
>
>When I turn ON the laptop, it boots to Windows and Grub does not appear. I
>have tried to install by turning the Secure boot and fast startup off and I
>still get the problem.
>
>I know it is possible to install Debian 8 on this laptop because I once did
>it and succeeded. However I forgot how I did it. I forgot what steps I took
>the last time.
>
>Please help me to solve this problem. I really need Debian.

Hi Dwijesh,

Your system may be set up to boot normally via UEFI, but in BIOS mode
for removable media like the CD/DVD/USB stick you used to install
Debian. In that case, Debian will have installed in BIOS mode but then
your system will fail to see it later. Or the opposite is often true
(default is BIOS boot, removable using UEFI). There's extra information in

  https://wiki.debian.org/UEFI

which may help you to diagnose things here. If you boot the installer
again, it will say clearly if it's in UEFI mode at boot as an aid for
troubleshooting here.

"Further comment on how I feel about IBM will appear once I've worked out
 whether they're being malicious or incompetent. Capital letters are forecast."
 Matthew Garrett, http://www.livejournal.com/users/mjg59/30675.html