Re: fast internet connection but very slow browser response

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 10:43:12PM -0800, tom arnall wrote:
> My browser connection has become very slow. Pinging will show a very
> fast connection, but my browser response is often so slow that a
> request times out. Skype will work fine under these conditions, as
> well as my torrent agent.
>
> I looked at 'syslog' and the output below seems to me related to the
> problem, but I don't have the expertise to have much more than a
> suspicion about it. If anyone could help me interpret the stuff
> relative to my browser problem, I'd very much appreciate it.

None of that looks likely to be a problem.

First check:

$ dig randomstring.org

I own randomstring.org, and you are not likely to have it in your
cache. Feel free to substitute any other valid domain name that you
haven't used in a few days.  Does dig respond with an IP address in less
than a second? If it takes much longer than 2 seconds, you have a DNS
problem.

Next, you say you're running a torrent agent. Are you throttling your
upload rate to less than 50% of your upstream bandwidth?  You should
be. By default in most torrent systems, there is no throttling, and it
will eat all your upstream bandwidth.

Third: can you plug your machine into an ethernet port and change that
to be your primary connection? If so, does the problem disappear? That
would point to a problem somewhere in the wifi stack.

-dsr-