Re: how execute a script

<deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk> wrote:
> > > As for script-file extensions in DOS, there was really only .BAT
> > > wasn't there?, so the idea of distinguishing .bash, .csh, .py, .pl,
> > > .sh, .zsh etc as being inherited from DOS is difficult for me to
> > > understand.
> >
> > Perhaps it's because (MS)DOS begat WINDOWS that only knew how to run
> > something based on the extension?
> >
> > And that is why we shudder on the sight of a (unnecessary?) extension?
>
> I wouldn't know. My experience of windows is far less than DOS, and my
> use of DOS was pretty much restricted to an AUTOEXEC.BAT that started
> an emulation system which was my area of expertise. Interesting choice
> of language, though; shudder.
>
> I'm the person questioning the relevance of DOS to putting ".sh" at
> the end of an on-PATH executable script's filename, when DOS was
> brought up in https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2015/11/msg00453.html
>
> I take it there's a whole generation of folk who gained their
> experience of filename endings (a less loaded word than extension)
> through DOS/windows, perhaps entirely so. With it, they picked up a
> load of negative associations, causing shuddering here and unhappiness
> in another part of this thread.
>
> I'm sorry for you. I didn't touch DOS until 1992-06-01 (to be precise)
> about twentyone years into my computing career. To say I *used* it
> would be an overstatement: I ran one package on it.
>
> Putting meaningful endings onto filenames (excepting, I hasten to
> add lest people jump down my throat, executable scripts) had been a
> way of life for years. Their necessity was variable from system to
> system; sometimes they were just a convention. Look at   man gcc.
> It has meaningful endings. They've been there since at least
> 15 March 1972 when, allegedly, the number of Unix installations had
> grown to 10. (At that time, gcc was obviously called cc; Stallman
> hadn't yet graduated.)
>
> As for unix scripts, well, yes, there's no *need* for any endings,
> but that doesn't preclude their use. If that makes you unhappy or
> into a shudderer, please get over it.

I take it those who are so against file endings are equally upset by
sources.list and menu.lst?

Though it is very annoying when they are *needed*.  Xsane usually puts them
in, and I used not to bother to check.  A few months ago I sent my lawyer a
scan of a document he needed.  An hour or two later, back came an
email:  "I'm so sorry, we have no software that can open that file.  The IT
department has been trying for an hour".  Puzzled, because I thought I had
sent a .pdf, and had checked that it opened fine in Evince, I looked at the
file - groaned - and renamed scan-foo to scan-foo.pdf.  When resent it opened
fine.

Lisi