Re: Install MSWindz 7 as Virtual Machine on Debian 8

On 09/11/15 18:58, D&P Dimov wrote:
I need to install MS Windows 7 as a Virtual Machine on a computer that is running Debian 8. To do that, I'd like to use software that is not proprietory (I know, I know - this may sounds a bit ridiculous...). This Debian page: https://wiki.debian.org/SystemVirtualization recommends Qemu, KVM, VirtualBox, and Zen. Does anyone have recommendations for which one is easiest to install for a novice? I tried the first one, Qemu, but didn't really find a good guide how to install MS Win 7 with it.
Thanks!
Up until last April, I ran Windows 7 under virtual Box on my Debian machine for my daily work almost every day for about 2 years.  I have cut down now to one day a week, and generally do that on a Macbook Air, also running Virtual Box.  It worked perfectly.

I updated to Windows 10, through the upgrade program, and that was a little dodgy until I updated Virtual Box to version 5 and removed 3d Video acceleration.

The only issue to be careful of, is that the drivers get properly rebuilt when the linux kernel changes.

When I first started doing this I was very nervous that a machine I depended on for my daily income was using virtual box, and I spent some time trying to get KVM working.  But I never found a way - struggling with documentation at every step.  VirtualBox on the other hand (apart from the occassional problem with ensuring the driver modules get rebuilt) was easy to set up, modify and  use.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk