Re: convert between ethernet and usb

rlharris@oplink.net a écrit :
> On Sat, November 7, 2015 4:26 am, Pascal Hambourg wrote:
>> Doesn't your i386 machine have an available USB port ?
>> Or does IPCop2 just not include USB drivers ?
>
> It has a USB-2 port; and I suppose I can purchase a PCI card with a USB-3
> port at the computer store.

Why would you need a USB 3 port ? Doesn't a USB 2 port provide enough
throughput ?

> In the IPCop manual, the only mention I see of USB is under [2.4 network
> menu][2.4.1 dialup]:
>
>>From the IPCop 2.0 manual:
> INTERFACE. This will be either a Communications port (COM1-COM5,
> ttyUSB0-4, noz0-1, ttyHS0-3, or usb/ttyACM0-3) used mostly for modems
> and ISDN cards, or PPPoE which is used mostly for DSL connections.
>
>>From the IPCop 1.4 manual:
> INTERFACE. This will be either a Communications port (COM1-COM5,
> ACM0-ACM3 or USB0-USB1) used mostly for modems and ISDN cards, or
> PPPoE which is used mostly for DSL connections.

These are serial ports, not network interfaces. With the proper driver,
an ethernet over USB device will appear as a regular network interface
in ifconfig. Well, the interface name may be different from the usual
ethX, such as usbX.