Re: System craches when browsing a web site

Hello,

I've looked into that issue a bit futher, and as far as I can test
within the confines of a VM I can say that
1) I can still access the TTYs and
2) the OOM killer removes the offending process as soon as both RAM
and Swap is full. Since your Swap is rather large it takes a long time
to fill up, during which time the system constantly has to swap in and
out programs you might be using.

Aside from the obvious issue here you've apparently made a conscious
effort to switch the system browser, as Debian by default installs
Iceweasel, not Epiphany. That means it's not a combination that the
Debian QA team had high on their list of priorities.

Why is that important? You lament that you switched to Debian from
another OS because you wanted stability. Given the high number of
different DEs, browsers, mail clients, chat programs, ... in any given
distribution the QA team can only test certain combinations, and make
those as stable as possible. Since the browser from the GNOME project
isn't included with the GNOME default install I'd wager it was
exchanged because of bugs like this.

But the system stability didn't suffer. The OOM killer removes the
offending browser process once the memory is used up, and the system
doesn't die. Once that happens, everything else is back to normal.
Even a bug in the GUI can't (usually) kill the whole system.

If you really want to protect yourself from issues like that in the
future, either switch to a better maintained browser (Iceweasel is the
default for Debian for example) and/or set a hard memory limit through
limits.conf or control groups.

Regards,
/peter