Re: Lost LVM data - lost logical volume

Hi David. I see what you mean.

So just to confirm, there is no way to recover the logical volume.

FWIW.. I am trying the following

I recreated the LV with lvcreate.

Luckily the old LV spanned the 100% the old LVM.

I can now see the LV.

I then ran ext3.fsck to repair /dev/mapper/data

latest errors i get are:
Oct 26 13:07:38 arbor kernel: [349276.552056] EXT3-fs error (device dm-0): ext3_check_descriptors: Block bitmap for group 384 not in group (block 0)!
Oct 26 13:07:38 arbor kernel: [349276.559433] EXT3-fs (dm-0): error: group descriptors corrupted

Then I am running ext3.fsck /dev/dm-0

and just waiting for it to finish.

FWIW. There are a multitude of reasons why there is no backup in place. In this particular case, there is no SLA to cover the regular backup of 3TB of data. So there is no money available to invest in hardware or services to backup the data. The agreement is try "best effort" to recover data if it goes down.