Re: Lost LVM data - lost logical volume

On 10/22/2015 02:41 PM, Anton Bizzarri wrote:
Hello, we had lost a drive in a LVM on Debian Squeeze. I pulled the drive
and replaced it and then tried to repair it but then when I tried to
recover the LVM it turned out it was a striped volume. (Its not my server!
Never thought they put the data on a striped volume).

So I returned the original drive and I tried to see if I can recover the
data from LVM metadata.

This is Debian wheezy and lvm2 2.02.95-8

The drive that failed was sdc

It is not finding the logical volumes anymore.

I have a file in the archive folder /etc/lvm/archive from the morning
before I ran "vgreduce --removemissing --force data"

Is there any way to restore the metadata? Below is the contents of archive
file.
I want to see if its possible to try to recover the data because all the
drives are actually still in the exact same slots.  The failing drive on
/dev/sdc magically started working again when I put it back in the server.

You *do* have a back up of your data, right?

1.  Make another copy of the back up and take it off-site.

2.  Test all of your hardware:

    a.  Power supply -- hardware load tester.

    b.  Memory -- many hours; 24 is good.

c. Drives -- use manufacturer diagnostics. Understand that failures can be caused by data cables, power cables, connectors, HBA's, RAID cards, MB ports, etc.. Troubleshooting might involve a live Linux image and/ or hardware substitution/ process of elimination.

3.  Optional: Wipe the drives.

4.  Build a new array/ file system.  (As an aside, have you considered ZFS?)

5.  Optional: Backup/ archive your array/ file system meta data.

6.  Restore your data.

7.  Verify that you can back up the data.

David