Re: System Dorked -- Help! (Interim solution!)

On Sunday 25 October 2015 06:57:06 David Baron wrote:

> Using the live disk, went back to the old (failing!) 80gig disk,
> edited back to where I was, bound the /dev and chroot and mounted what
> I needed.
> update-initramfs and lilo worked without any segfault.
>
> So back up. Time to buy another big disk and move stuff or reinstall
> with Jesse. Trouble is these big SATAs are not so great. That 80gig
> IDE which smart claims is pre-failure (but does not totally support)
> predates them all.

Another thought comes to mind since you mentioned a big disk, but I don't
recall the size if it has been quoted in this thread.

But In installing linuxcnc (debian wheezy based) on fresh disks, I have
twice now been forced to allocate a /boot partition at the beginning of
a 2 terabyte disk.

This may not be the reason, but my theory is that by the time the install
gets around to installing grub, (its the last thing it does) its boot
files are too far into the disk for bios/lilo/grub2 to find them, so the
reboot at the end of the install fails.

The worst part of that is that the partitioner will not accept a 1
gigabyte partition, which is a great plenty, so I was forced to use 5%
of the disk as a boot partition.

That is about 47 gigabytes, of which <1% is actually used.  Ridiculous,
but it works.  Those 3 machines would be happy as clams with a 20
gigabyte disk.  Even SSD's are bigger than that these days.

So I am left wondering if this might be a solution to your boot problem.

lilo has been out of favor for a goodly piece of a decade, and with even
grub1 being far more versatile, I am amazed to hear of someone still
using it.  I have no clue what its LBA capabilities are in light of the
sizes of todays drives.

If someone could elaborate on that, it might also be of educational value
here.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)