Re: System Dorked -- Help! (Interim solution!)

On Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 7:57 PM, David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il> wrote:
> Using the live disk, went back to the old (failing!) 80gig disk, edited back
> to where I was, bound the /dev and chroot and mounted what I needed.
>
> update-initramfs and lilo worked without any segfault.

Up until here, I'm sort-of following you.

> So back up. Time to buy another big disk and move stuff or reinstall with
> Jesse. Trouble is these big SATAs are not so great. That 80gig IDE which
> smart claims is pre-failure (but does not totally support) predates them
> all.

Now I'm lost. Sorry, try that again?

What exactly about which big SATAs is not so great?

What does predating have to do with your present quandary?

And, BTW, I forgot to mention, if you've configured your boot based on
/dev/sda, etc., go back and configure based on UUIDs. That should make
things a lot less liable to go boom when you play with cabling. (And
watch where you put the masters and slaves if you are playing with
parallel ATA.)

You'll want to read the

    man blkid

and note that the command is in /sbin, so you may need to supply the full path:

    /sbin/blkid

to get the UUIDs of your drives.

If you're thinking of buying a new HD, do so, install the OS on the
new drive, get it running, and then hook the old drives up and copy
/home and parts of /etc and whatever else.

I think dpkg --list on the system as it is will help you figure out
what packages to install with the new OS.

--
Joel Rees

Be careful when you look at conspiracy.
Arm yourself with knowledge of yourself, as well:
http://reiisi.blogspot.jp/2011/10/conspiracy-theories.html