Maintaining package modifications in a systemic way

Hello,

I often come across a situation where I need to apply a few simple patches to a script in /usr/bin or so. Simply changing the script works, but it will be overridden on any new upgrade.

I'm looking for the recommended way to do something like this. AFAIK Debian does not have something like epatch_user in Gentoo for understandable reasons.

The most viable options seems to be (AFAIK) maintaining a custom package repository with modified pacakges. I'm not entirely sure about convenient versioning schemes though. I also haven't found any really convenient tools for maintaining a custom repository. The closest there is seems to be reprepro, but it is only part of a toolchain. I think I pretty much want something like a local buildd server. So I'm asking here whether there is some even more convenient helper before I do stuff manually.

I look forward to your recommendations on how to manage local modifications.

Kind regards,
Ondřej Grover