Re: /bin/sh: 1: lpr: not found on jessie amd64

On 10/25/2015 05:29 AM, Juan R. de Silva wrote:
>> The packages cups-bsd, lpr, and lprng all have lpr. Try installing them
>> and removing them in turn, and see which works.
> Installation of cups-bsd did the trick.
>
> BTW, I tried installing lpr before and it did not help.
>
> This is weird, since I've looked into my i386 installation and neither
> cups-bsd, nor lprng, nor lpr are installed there. Why all at sudden cups-
> bsd was necessary on amd64?

you can see which package provides a file with dpkg-query:

dpkg-query -S `which lpr`

will show you the package, unless you have it installed some other way.

if you need to find a file which is a part of a package you can use apt-file

apt-file update
apt-file  search  -x "\/lpr$"

will show you packages containing lpr pattern
-x flag tells apt-file to use perl like regular expressions