Re: Maintaining package modifications in a systemic way

Ondřej Grover [2015-10-25 08:47:23+01] wrote:

> I often come across a situation where I need to apply a few simple
> patches to a script in /usr/bin or so. Simply changing the script
> works, but it will be overridden on any new upgrade.

> I look forward to your recommendations on how to manage local
> modifications.

Sounds exactly what dpkg-divert(8) is for.

DESCRIPTION
       dpkg-divert is the utility used to set up and update the list of
       diversions.

       File diversions are a way of forcing dpkg(1) not to install a
       file into its location, but to a diverted location. Diversions
       can be used through the Debian package scripts to move a file
       away when it causes a conflict. System administrators can also
       use it to override some package's configuration file, or whenever
       some files (which aren't marked as 'conffiles') need to be
       preserved by dpkg, when installing a newer version of a package
       which contains those files.