Re: Regarding language display issues

On 10/22/15, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:

> As you say, get the fonts.
>
> Pointer:
> lisi@Tux-II:~$ aptitude search ttf | grep gujarati
> i A ttf-gujarati-fonts              - transitional dummy package
> lisi@Tux-II:~$ aptitude search ttf | grep hindi
> lisi@Tux-II:~$ aptitude search ttf | grep tamil
> i A ttf-tamil-fonts                 - Transitional dummy package
> lisi@Tux-II:~$
>
> I haven't explored why no hindi in that ttf list.  urdu isn't there either.

I tried it without the "ttf" and received this:

+++
$ apt-cache search urdu font
fonts-nafees - nafees free OpenType Urdu fonts
fonts-paktype - PakType free OpenType Urdu fonts
+++

Searching on "hindi" by itself brought up a very short list of
packages total. Was an interesting quick read. Searching "hindi font"
landed these:

+++
fonts-deva-extra - Free fonts for Devanagari script
fonts-gargi - OpenType Devanagari font
fonts-lohit-deva - Lohit TrueType font for Devanagari script
fonts-nakula - Free Unicode compliant Devanagari font
fonts-sahadeva - Free Unicode compliant Devanagari font
fonts-samyak-deva - Samyak TrueType font for Devanagari script
fonts-sarai - truetype font for devanagari script
emacs-intl-fonts - fonts to allow multilingual PostScript printing from Emacs
task-hindi - Hindi environment
+++

Oops because "hindi ttf" and "urdu ttf" landed nothing here, either,
yet there's the word "TrueType" a few times for "hindi". An aside to
those who write those descriptions: Don't forget to use **ALL** your
special keywords! It's times like this when they matter. :D

PS "urdu truetype" still landed no package results.

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *