Re: Debian 8.2 RAID conf. problem

On 10/21/15, Mario Castelán Castro <marioxcc.MT@yandex.com> wrote:
> El 21/10/15 a las 11:11, erdal daghan escribió:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a problem with install debian. When I trying to install the Debian
>> 8.2 with RAID1 configuration it does NOT add bootable flag in guided
>> partitioning mode. It Doesn't on option.
>
> The problem seems to be your perception, not Debian. Why do you think
> you need that flag?. As far as I know, GRUB ignores it, so it makes no
> difference regarding booting the system. Also, if you use guided
> partitioning, you can manually adjust the suggested partitioning scheme
> before proceeding, so if you really need it, you can easily toggle it.

Because it's there as an option in Gparted, I consciously, *manually*
apply the boot flag to a favored partition as soon as I've completed
the initial partition reconfiguring on a hard drive. SO FAR.... the
only place I've ever seen the boot flag matter was with respect to
rerunning GRUB after a newly (debootstrap) installed distro. It's
actually one of those topics I'd experienced and thought about
starting a thread on soon after in case others had feedback for
newcomers.

Was only a couple months ago that I found out that update-grub was at
least one thing about the boot flag that *appeared* to matter, at
least *IN MY CASE* *that day*. After a very long afternoon of not
understanding why GRUB kept reverting to its old config setup, I
accidentally discovered that changing that boot flag from one
partition to another one created instant success on the next
update-grub run I did.

Prior to stumbling on that factor, I'd gone so far as to take the
chance of purging and then reinstalling GRUB hoping it would somehow
cleanse the system (not to mention hoping the hard drive didn't
suddenly fritz in those few seconds it was GRUB-less). What I had set
up then actually let me reinstall GRUB into.. is it MBR (?) which I
had *thought MIGHT* be the problem at that time. And still update-grub
failed. Wasn't until I changed that boot flag that there was
success.... immediate success for whatever reason known to the
software....... :)

Outside of that, nothing I've ever done to date has openly been
reflected as being somehow dependent on that flag. For the record, I
*do* make that change on purpose just because I did waste a LOT of
time that afternoon. Many months ago there was a thread about
longevity of hard drives related to how many boots in their lifetimes.
THAT THREAD came to mind THAT AFTERNOON.... I ate a few boots off my
hard drive's lifetime supply that day. *grin*

Cindy :)

--
Cindy-Sue Causey

* runs with duct tape *