Re: Reporting Bug

On Thu 22 Oct 2015 at 09:18:24 +0200, Ondřej Grover wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 8:15 AM, Adrian O'Dell <crimsonmane@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > There appears to be a bug which has Plagued me for years. Oddly I don't
> > have the bug in Linux Mint. Did they edit this part of the installer?
> >
> > My name contains an apostrophe, which causes the Debian installer to not
> > create my user account. Long time ago when I tried to seek help via IRC was
> > told I must have done something wrong. Two days ago I confirmed through
> > multiple installs that the apostrophe is the culprit.
> >
> > This is the only attempt I will make at filing a bug report. Anyone more
> > familiar with filing a bug report, it would be greatly appreciated if you
> > would make sure it gets filed properly so it may be resolved.
> > https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting is an ugly wall of text which
> > immediately discouraged me from wanting to file a bug report anymore.

> could you please be more specific about a few points?
> - what installer ISO did you use
> - did you use the text or graphical installer
> - what was the error message or what failed or happened exactly that
> stopped the installation
>
> I wasn't able to reproduce your problem in VirtualBox using the network
> installation ISO
> http://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/8.2.0/i386/iso-cd/debian-8.2.0-i386-netinst.iso
> and with almost all the default choices with the excpetion of these prompts
> - Full name of new user: "Adrian O'Dell"
> - user name: "adrian"

My install was on bare metal. The outcome was identical to yours.

> I understand that you may not feel like reading a large page of text if you
> are in a hurry or feel you may not understand it. However, the Debian and
> other open-source projects keep living thanks to individuals like you that
> go the extra mile, devote some time to the cause and are willing to learn
> new things. Please consider supporting Debian (and through it all other
> projects based on it, including Linux Mint) through your extra effort in
> filing bug reports when needed.

The second line on the page says:

  We strongly recommend that you report bugs in Debian using the
  reportbug program.

Making sure "it gets filed properly so it may be resolved" is not a
responsibility of some third party unfamiliar with the details,
especially if it is not reproducible for them.