Re: Virtual box

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 5:33 AM, Mitch Nuss <Mitchsales@hamilton.net> wrote:
I am wanting to install Debian into a pic tower I have and want to use it as a headless server and use a tight VNC so I can access it anywhere. Do you have any advice for me and will I need to install virtual box? Amy info you have for me would be great thanks.

Sent from my iPhone

Hello,

If you want some virtualization, then yes, you'll have to install some virtualization software, out of which I guess Virtualbox is the easiest to setup.
But you don't really need VNC, unless you plan to install many VMs and then remove them, and then install others (so unless you really need a GUI).

The way I do this: I setup my VMs (webserver / other servers), then:
1. I turn on my PC with wakeonlan from another device;
2. I ssh into my PC
3. I turn on the VMs that I want to work on from the ssh session: vboxmanage startvm "VM_name" --type headless.

The name of the VMs can be found by "vboxmanage list vms".

Good luck!