Re: Backup solutions without reinventig the wheel these days

Thank you Sarunas for the graphs, it is most illuminating. That's pretty much how I imagine a storage server should behave.
Atomic snapshots are very appealing indeed. In my case cp -lr or --link-dest solutions would take a long time as the FS hierarchy is both very broad and deep.

So far it seems I will go with backupninja with simple rsync transport and a few custom shell scripts to create and delete btrfs snapshots on the remote server. This means I will need root access on the backup server, but I can restrict that with authorized_keys or sudo.

Is there some other framework similar to backupninja that provides the common boilerplate code for the cron + command + mail report paradigma?
I also like the various backupninja helper scripts.
I was thinking about Bacula, but I'm not sure if it has block-level deduplication, from the docks it seems it has file-level dedup. It seems like a bit of an overkill for my case.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 5:07 PM, Sarunas Burdulis <sarunas@math.dartmouth.edu> wrote:
On 10/21/2015 10:47 AM, Ondřej Grover wrote:
> I could try to request a RAM upgrade (not super easy in uni environment,
> but doable), but it goes against my understanding of what a storage
> server is. In my book, a storage server needs fast IO capabilities
> (storage drives and NIC) and possibly CPU for compression. Deduplication
> is the only reason I could think of higher RAM requirements on a storage
> server.

This morning I added a 'memory' plugin to the Munin node on the server I
described. Here is a snaphot so far, for what it's worth. The bump at
9:50 is an rsync from one of the biggest filesystems backed-up (~600GiB,
about a million files to sync).

https://math.dartmouth.edu/owncloud/index.php/s/E3VYxhWlCqUusn4

> Sarunas, did you have good experiences with actually using the backups
> for restoring?

Whenever I needed them, backup copies were available. This is more of an
archival storage. The main point for using btrfs was instantaneous
snapshot creation (and removal of older ones, something that takes
'forever' in rsync --link-dest scenario, using rsnapshot, for example).

Sarunas

--
Sarunas Burdulis
Systems Administrator