Re: Backup solutions without reinventig the wheel these days

--lnk-dest is a nice feature of rsync, however, it would require me to write yet another custom script that so many people already have and reinvent the wheel again. I'm trying to find a ready and time-tested and maintained solution before I go down that path. The rsynch handler in backupninja does pretty much the same thing, but uses cp -l as --link-dest did not exist back when it was written. Nevertheless, I'd prefer block-level deduplication and compression.

Your btrfs setup sounds interesting, Sarunas. Are you running those btrfs volumes on Jessie? Any stability issues? Do you think it could work with just 1GB RAM + 1 GB swap? I was thinking about doing out-of-band deduplication to conserve RAM. Do you use both compression and deduplication (file or block level)? I heard they don't play nicely together. Could you share your mount options?

Kind regards,
Ondřej Grover