Re: System Dorked -- Help!

----- Original Message -----
From: Thomas Schmitt <scdbackup@gmx.net>
Date: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 10:31 pm
Subject: Re: System Dorked -- Help!
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

> Hi,
>
> Disclaimer: I am much more programmer than sysadmin.
>
> d_baron@012.net.il wrote:
> > I had been running an up-to-date Sid so
> > maybe that is the problem. The lilo is on the partition,
>
> It is unusual to combine Debian Sid with bootloader LILO.
> Installation plants GRUB2 by default.
>
> I never installed GRUB2 other than by netinst ISO and zero-expert
> setup. But it is said to automatically recognize partitions with
> installed operating systems. Only any special kernel options
> would then have to be transplanted from LILO to GRUB2 configuration
> file.
>
> Given the dangers of such rescue attempts, i would advise to make
> a double backup of any valuable data first.
>

> > but the new root was not connected so could not proceed.
>
> Maybe the Linux kernel is looking for the UUID of the old disk ?
> (Would have learned it from initrd or bootloader kernel arguments.)
>

> > I am now in a machine called "Kali Linux"
>
> "Penetration Testing and Ethical Hacking". Probably not what you
> need now.
> Maybe you are better of with a Knoppix or a Debian LiveCD.
> For the minimalist there is RIPLinux.
>

> But how does Kali fail to boot for you ?
> I have kali-linux-dev-amd64.iso from last year and it looks like
> bootable from DVD and USB stick. Quite like a Debian ISO.
>
> http://docs.kali.org/introduction/kali-linux-default-passwords
> "should you decide to boot the live image [...], the i386, amd64,
>  VMWare and ARM images are configured with the default root
> password – “toor“, without the quotes."
>

> Have a nice day :)
>
> Thomas

Hope all those >'s do not foul this up.

I am using a Debian live CD. So that Kali business comes from there but is nowhere shown when running of the CD. I used to like the Knoppix but his stuff has gone too far out and I cannot use it.

I do not know how to use Grub. The installation had it but when I wanted two kernels around, I had to go back to Lilo. At least I know how that (is supposed to) works.

The new root not connected -- the SATA cable was not in. As I said, I was experimenting with the cables.