Re: System Dorked -- Help!

Version without any markup-interpreted markings and should!! be formatted as plain text. Mail site composer box highlights the alternative rather than actual option as it is a link (to a script?). Sorry for any inconvenience.

----- Original Message -----
From: Renaud OLGIATI <renaud@olgiati-in-paraguay.org> (Ron)
Date: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 4:58 pm
Subject: Re: System Dorked -- Help!
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org

On Wed, 21 Oct 2015 16:32:40 +0300
d_baron@012.net.il wrote:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: d_baron@012.net.ilDate:
 Wednesday, October 21, 2015 11:18 amSubject: Re: System Dorked --
 Help!
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org ----- Original Message -
From: d_baron@012.net.il
Date: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 10:24 am
Subject: System Dorked -- Help!

To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
After being warned of impending failure
of my oldie but goodie 80gig disk -- I had placed my root
directory there because the installation's partition was too
small and did this successfully -- I moved the root directory
to a partition on another disk, edited files, ran lilo,
seemingly successfully, and voile: No boot. Get 99's or nothing
at all.

Going into a live Debian 7, I mounted the old and new
partitions, copied the modified files (which had been done on
the old version :-) ) and chroot and tried to re-run lilo.
Segmentation fault.

I had been running an up-to-date Sid so
maybe that is the problem. The lilo is on the partition, not on
the live distro. Fact is, with certain combination of
cabling, I had the bootloader actually work, load the initrd,
and start up, but the new root was not connected so could not
proceed.

So what can I do about this?

More:
Tried lilo installed to the live distro  and ran from command
line specifying the configuration file and map. This is what I get:
Fatal: Trying to  map files from unnamed device 12 (NFS/RAID mirror down ?)
Ok, no segment fault. If I use the -q option, it will display my
boot choices.So, what's next?

And more::
Googling that I can bind /proc, /dev to chroot and then the
installed lilo will run! Same results with or without /proc
binding. /dev binding got rid of the original error.

Boots up with a load of errors but I am now in a machine called "Kali
Linux" I cannot log on to anything. Errors too numerous
and fast to see. ACPI, does not work on this system anyway.
Login service failed to start. Etc.

So maybe!! almost there.
What else need I do get back to where I was?
Something else to bind?
Copy to restore from the original root directory?
Possibly the "user" login from the live distro might work
(password?), and I could recreate previous users if need be but
that does not touch the other errors.

So what can I do about this?
‭‮