System Dorked -- Help!

After being warned of impending failure of my oldie but goodie 80gig disk -- I had placed my root directory there because the installation's partition was too small and did this successfully -- I moved the root directory to a partition on another disk, edited files, ran lilo, seemingly successfully, and voile: No boot. Get 99's or nothing at all.

Going into a live Debian 7, I mounted the old and new partitions, copied the modified files (which had been done on the old version :-( ) and chroot and tried to re-run lilo. Segmentation fault. I had been running an up-to-date Sid so maybe that is the problem. The lilo is on the partition, not on the live distro.

Fact is, with certain combination of cabling, I had the bootloader actually work, load the initrd, and start up, but the new root was not connected so could not proceed. So what can I do about this?
‭‮