Re: Mailing lists, CC, followup-to, netiquette and all the rest [was: direct ethernet connection between computer and printer]

On Sun, Oct 18, 2015 at 04:55:10PM +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Sunday 18 October 2015 16:04:47 tomas@tuxteam.de wrote:
> >  With a sensible mail reader, the responder just
> > has to choose "respond to list" and all is well.
>
> Yes.  That is not the problem.  The problem is responders who *deliberately*
> don't respond to list.

You can't stop those. (OK, the best you can do is "social engineering", aka
persuasion :)

> You claim to know how to set one's email client to stop people responding
> personally.   My email in response to your last doesn't seem to have got
> through to the list; perhaps because of the screenshot.  So here it is
> without.

[...]

> > Yes, you are right about the CoC part. Still, if someone is picky about
> > *not* being cc'ed, I'd consider it polite to at least do his/her part and
> > express this wish with the headers in use for this purpose. At least
> > *before* scolding others <:*)
>
> Taking that as personally aimed, nothing would give me greater pleasure.  I am
> simply not technically competent enough.  I refer above to  "my inability to
> configure KMail correctly".
>
> I have a blank page in which to  " define custom mime header fields", and an
> opportunity to use a custom message-id suffix. (See attachment.)
>
> What do I put, where, to achieve stopping these wretched cc's from landing in
> my private mail??

What you can do is, if you care, to set

This should convince most polite MUAs to do the right thing when the user
"replies to list". A more drastic measure would be to set

That won't kill all cc's: if someone does a "group reply" and/or if the
MUA is nasty enough...

> I'd also like the copy to the list to land in my list folder, not be
> discarded.

The ultimate feature is just a duplicate filter (a couple of lines of
procmail). You'll have to configure the "mail sorter" (you're probably
using KMail) accoringly, because probably the "copy for you" will
arrive earlier.

See this thread in... debian-user[1], of all things (from 2003) where
our ancestors hashed this out already (with some recipes). Just ask if
you decide to use procmail (I am, alas, a KMail analphabet myself).

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/10/msg05065.html

Regards
- -- tomás