Re: direct ethernet connection between computer and printer

On Thu, October 15, 2015 3:18 am, Joe wrote:
> I think you just missed it, until Win7 there was a Telnet client. You
> can install/enable one (genuine MS) on 8, I have done it but a while ago,
> the details are out there somewhere.

Installing anything on the other guy's machine is asking for trouble; that
is why I brought along my own laptop.

And now I have the printer here.  I plan not to go back until it is
configured.

> Either way should work, only 10Mbit Ethernet connections cannot do this
> without a crossover cable

That is good to know.

> Network
> Manager can be persuaded to create a new fixed IP address configuration
> to set your laptop to something in the 192.168.1. network. If you do not
> mark it 'Auto', NM will not attempt to use it without explicitly being
> told to, or of course you can delete the connection after use.

Understood.  That is my project after I get a bit of sleep.

>> So first of all I would like to know whether it is possible to
>> connect a computer directly to a printer without a router to manage the
>> connection.
>
> Yes.

That is good to know.

> A printer, being a server, generally has a fixed IP address, and
> Windows will need to be given it.

At the moment, the office has one computer and a USB inkjet printer. It
appears to me that not many people today have a laser printer.

> Modern printers often have an LCD
> display through which configurations can be made.

But not the hp2100tn.

> I'd expect one with an
> Ethernet port to run a simple web server for configuration.

I have not yet found mention of one regarding the hp2100tn.

> Best not go there... you shouldn't need to disturb anything. If the
> router is indeed running DHCP, and that would be expected in this sort of
> network, then you do really need to know its IP address range, for which
> you will need to login with the admin password, but you don't need to see
> it physically.

I am beginning to regret that I got into this.  The modem or modem-router
is supplied by a small ISP which serves a rural region.  The ISP may not
allow the customer to change the configuration.

> If this password is unavailable, ...
> then try
> setting the printer to the address adjacent to the router's.

I though that likely is the case; the computer is 192.168.100.3, so the
router likely is 192.168.100.1, so my plan was to try 192.168.100.2 for
the printer.

> If you really want to get fancy and you have admin access to the
> router, you can set the printer to DHCP, note its MAC address and then
> tell
> the router DHCP server to make a reservation for a particular address for
> the printer within its pool. It will then always give this address to the
> printer, but by DHCP.

Understood; I have done that from time to time.

Thanks, Joe.