Re: direct ethernet connection between computer and printer

On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 00:34:14 -0500
rlharris@oplink.net wrote:

> Yesterday in the office of my associate, I tried without success to
> install a HP LaserJet 2100TN in a wired local area network (LAN)
> consisting of nothing but a i386 running Windows 8, a modem (which I
> think also is router) and an ethernet switch.
>
> Through Control Panel, I learned that the computer had ip address
> 192.168.100.3.  The HP2100 printed a configuration report which
> indicated an ip address of 192.168.1.201.
>
> It occurred to me to use telnet to access the printer and reconfigure
> the ip address.  But the Windows command prompt did not understand
> "telnet".

I think you just missed it, until Win7 there was a Telnet client. You
can install/enable one (genuine MS) on 8, I have done it but a while
ago, the details are out there somewhere.

> Thereupon I connected directly to the printer a laptop running Jessie
> (with Xfce desktop), using an ethernet cable.  NetworkManager Applet
> (0.9.10.0) did not make a connection.
>
> I though that perhaps a "cross-over" ethernet cable might be
> required, so I placed an ethernet switch and two "straight" cables
> between the laptop and the printer; but again NetworkManager Applet
> (0.9.10.0) failed to make a connection.

Either way should work, only 10Mbit Ethernet connections cannot do this
without a crossover cable, and are usually the best ways of talking to a
new network device, without other devices adding confusion. Network
Manager can be persuaded to create a new fixed IP address configuration
to set your laptop to something in the 192.168.1. network. If you do
not mark it 'Auto', NM will not attempt to use it without explicitly
being told to, or of course you can delete the connection after use.

Yes, there are simpler ways to set a fixed address, but if you already
have NM running, it is easier to work with it than against it.

You can, just about, persuade Win8 to use a fixed address, but NM is
far easier.

> So first of all I would like to know whether it is possible to
> connect a computer directly to a printer without a router to manage
> the connection.

Yes.

> And then I would like to know the proper way to reconfigure this
> printer. If the "modem" indeed has an internal router with DHCP
> server, then I think that the printer should utilize DHCP.

A printer, being a server, generally has a fixed IP address, and
Windows will need to be given it. Modern printers often have an LCD
display through which configurations can be made. I'd expect one with
an Ethernet port to run a simple web server for configuration.

> At the moment I am ignorant concerning the modem and/or router,
> because they are hidden behind desks and boxes, so that visual
> inspection is going to necessitate moving things in the office, which
> my associate is not going to enjoy.

Best not go there... you shouldn't need to disturb anything. If the
router is indeed running DHCP, and that would be expected in this sort
of network, then you do really need to know its IP address range, for
which you will need to login with the admin password, but you don't
need to see it physically. If this password is unavailable, and it may
well still be whatever Google tells you is the factory default for
this model, then try setting the printer to the address adjacent to the
router's. The chances are that the router address pool has a gap of
several addresses around that of the router.

If you really want to get fancy and you have admin access to the
router, you can set the printer to DHCP, note its MAC address and then
tell the router DHCP server to make a reservation for a particular
address for the printer within its pool. It will then always give this
address to the printer, but by DHCP.

--
Joe