Re: systemd alternative for Jessie?

Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Wednesday 14 October 2015 13:49:08 Richard Owlett wrote:
Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
Hi,

tom arnall <kloro2006@gmail.com> writes:
[SNIP]

what did they do to poll the views of the user community on the
question?

If you want to know how Debian's technical committee came to choose
systemd as the default init, see [2].

    [2] <https://bugs.debian.org/727708>

That page explicitly answers "How?" [with a emphasis perhaps on
the mechanics on how the formal side of the Debian community works].

An underlying incompletely answered question is "Why?"
There have been partial answers written by and for geeks.
What has the end-user, with a single machine, gained today from
the adoption of systemd?

Far faster boot up and shut down times.  And it does seem to be much faster.

During the furor I tried chasing down links by systemd
proponents. All I found were descriptions of how it made life
easier for developers and those administering multi-user systems.

Most of the furor I have seen has been the complete opposite.  Developers and
systems administrators complaining that systemd made life harder.

I was restricting my search to PROponents of systemd. IOW I was looking for a systemd sales-pitch. What I got reminded me of a used car salesman I met when shopping for my first car. I'd specified I needed a car for urban commuting, he insisted on touting its off road capability. Needless to say I never went back to that dealer.

Please note that I am not saying that all administrators and developers said
that.  Merely that most of those complaining at least claim to be
administrators etc., and claim that systemd is only really an advantage to
the single desktop user.

Lisi