Tracking down memory leaks

Is there a way to determine what is using up my memory? I have an 8GB system and every few days the memory usage rises to over 7 GB and up to a GB, or more of swap is used. Granted, I have 3 X sessions running, along with 2 instances of Firefox and one of Chrome, not to mention up to 3 instances of Libre Office, but... When I first added the 8 GB (I used to do this on 2.25 GB!) I could run for months without having a memory problem. Now it's every few days.

When this happens, I exit all programs and shut down all three X sessions. I also log out the other two users. This leaves me with only a single login and nothing but bash running. When I run 'free' it usually shows over 2 GB in use! When I reboot, the memory usage is back down at about 250 MB. Much more reasonable.

So how do I tell what is using up the memory and not freeing it up? Is there a way to free that memory without having to reboot?

Marc