Re: install Debian using qemu - fail

On 2015-10-05 18:47, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> replaying your commands i successfully went through the
> installation of a system without desktop software.
> I was able to log in as root and to shut down.

Maybe that's the point? I selected XFCE. Is there anything special I
have to do to be able to install and use graphical software? I've heard
that GNOME uses some GPU acceleration so it could require some tweaking
but this is not GNOME...

> The stage "Select and install software" is the first one
> which causes substantial internet traffic.
> Up to what percentage does it get ?

I don't know exactly but I'd say around 90%. It takes 15 minutes or so
and asks several questions during the process (about fonts rendering,
who is allowed to run the X server etc.), so it looks like things are
being downloaded and installed.

>> $ qemu-img create debian.img 2G
>> $ qemu-system-x86_64 -smp 2 -hda ./debian.img -cdrom
>> ../debian-8.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso -boot d -m 2048
>
> 2 GB hard disk is quite small for a system. Are you sure everything
> will fit ?

I only need XFCE and basic system utilities. The ultimate goal is to run
the non-free flash player from Adobe in a VM. Is this a safe setup? Is
this going to work?

> 2 GB of virtual RAM is generous. Does your real machine have enough
> real RAM to lend that much to the VM ?

Yes it has 32 GB.