Re: install Debian using qemu - fail

Hi,

replaying your commands i successfully went through the
installation of a system without desktop software.
I was able to log in as root and to shut down.

The stage "Select and install software" is the first one
which causes substantial internet traffic.
Up to what percentage does it get ?
Do you see internet traffic on the host machine ?

> $ qemu-img create debian.img 2G
> $ qemu-system-x86_64 -smp 2 -hda ./debian.img -cdrom
> ../debian-8.2.0-amd64-netinst.iso -boot d -m 2048

2 GB hard disk is quite small for a system. Are you sure everything
will fit ?
2 GB of virtual RAM is generous. Does your real machine have enough
real RAM to lend that much to the VM ?

> Everything works fine (a bit slow)

"A bit" is very politely spoken. Above command lets my Xeon glow
at 3.8 GHz while installation moves on like a sand dune.

For performance nearly like real hardware use qemu option

  -enable-kvm

Success depends on whether your hardware and system support kvm.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas