Re: Sound card question

Quoting Danny (mynixmail@gmail.com):

> In order for me NOT to make a trip to the car every 10 minutes I though of
> splitting the LINE-OUT and add a normal set of desktop speakers.
>
> So ... I was just wondering if I will have any losses (in whatever form) when I
> "split" the signal ... keep in mind that the audio signals processed by the sound
> card should be strong and reliable ...

I assume "desktop speakers" are designed to present a load comparable
with headphones, or at least compatible with typical sound card
capabilities. They will soak up a little of the current available at
the output, while your rig will only be interested in the output
voltage which will be unaffected. (Am I saying all this to a licensed
ham?)

My desktop soundcard had to drive a pair of Jordan Watts like these:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BAbT1p2CUAA0Di0.jpg
but I wouldn't recommend that for you.

However, my concern is for how you deal with the volume control. I
assume your rig wants the output turned up loud so that's what you'll
get through your Y-splitter (Y-sharer might be a better term).
What I do (currently on my server in the basement) is connect the
output to the line/aux input of an old ghettoblaster (cassette
mechanisms long worn out) which gives me not only volume but tone
controls too. If you haven't got any of your own, their are junk
shops, charity shops, neighbours... This solution is safer with
headphones too, when the software unexpectedly maxes the volume.

Cheers,
David.