Re: Sound card question

On 10/01/2015 09:52 AM, Danny wrote:
On Sep 30 15, Doug :
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2015 13:39:16 -0400
From: Doug <dmcgarrett@optonline.net>
Subject: Re: Sound card question

On 09/30/2015 09:55 AM, Danny wrote:
Hi guys,

I have a Sigmatel STAC9227 on-board sound card. Everything works fine as it
should. It has the normal Mic , Ext.Speaker and Line-Out jacks.

Currently the Mic and Ext.Speaker plugs are permanently occupied via speaker/mic
headphones (Amateur Radio Stuff) ...

What I would like to know is if it would be possible to send audio that goes to
the headphones to the Line-Out jack at the same time?

Thank You

Danny

Why not just get a Y adapter?

--dm

lol ... that never even crossed my mind ...

Using a Y-adapter naturally forces the following question:
Does it effectively split the power/gain into two and I end up with half on one
side and half on the other?

Danny

I believe that the output of the headphone jack is not impedance matched--I expect it's just
a voltage source. Wat's more, unless you are plugging the same low-impedance devices into
both Y outputs, _and_ the source is impedance matched, you would not split the power
equally. I don't know what you want to do with the second output, but it's more
than likely a relatively high impedance, so it would not load the circuit at all.
I could be wrong, but it seems logical to me.

--doug