Re: Status of repository debian/testing?

Hello folks, hi Joe!

Thank you all for your response, especially Joe for his big answer.
I now have new experiences, and I want to tell you, how I solved all this.

First, I checked apt-get dist-upgrade. This wanted to install tons of software
and also wanted to update tons of software. However, it also wanted to remove
software and many libs, too.

As there were only aptitude, blender, digikam and kdm to remove, I did the
upgrade.

Now debian installed all the new stuff.

After this I reinstalled aptitude. With the installed aptitude I reinstalled
blender and kdm.

However, digikam still made problems. as it depends on many qt4-libs. So I
could not install it.

However, I hope this will be fixed, soo, as there is digikam 4.5 available,
which is based on qt5! I hope, the maintainers will put digikam 4.5 into the
repo as fast as possible.

Okay, now I had upgraded as apt-get has suggested.

First start of KDE5. Bad problem, I discovered my setings were all gone, but
worse - no keyboard input possible.

The solution: I installed the package plasma-desktop and added manually all
packages with the matching version, like kwin-x11 (which looks necessary for
kde5) and the depending libs.

This should be fixed by the maintainers, too.

Now KDE5 started fine, but the look of breeze is ugly. I lioked my transparency
look of oxygen. So I downloaded oxygenDSX. Much better look.

By using aptitude upgrade, I could install all further needed packages, except
for filezilla and digikam.

At the moment I have KDE5 running, but it is still rather buggy.

Problems/ Issues
1. The systemsettings are somehow different (I mean different options for
settings) between my notebooks, although all versions are the same.

2. On my Notebook with nvidia card (64-bit), KDE5 randomly looses acceleration
settings, so it shuts down to non-3d-mode. In the systemsettings then some
options are missing (those for affects). Restarting KDE5 let then reappear.
Very weired, as this happens randomly.

3. The process "Konsole" is using 100 percent CPU-power, although konsole was
not started by me. This happens every time, when special applikations have
been started and had been closed, for example synaptics. Looks like it has
something to do with applications, that need root privileges.
the process "konsole" can be stopped manually by using ksysguard, for example.

4. Some applications do not work any more, due to a (IMHO) bug of the tray. In
my case it is hplip and synergy. Both application crash with the message
"System tray is unavailable, quitting". In some forums this message was
discussed. It looks like either some missing package (sni-qt???) or the tray
itself is buggy.

5. Some widgets do not work any more (like yawp)

I admit, these are only annoying bugs, not very important. It also looks like
not all needed packages are already available for qt5. So some problems might
be caused by a horrible mix of qt4 and qt4 libs.

Last but not least, I hope, those who are interested, might find my experiences
usefull. I do upgrades very often (mostly daily), but after the change from
qt4 to qt5 there are a lot problems in kde5.

For a productive system IMO you should only update to testing, when you have
lots of time. My update did cost me more than 5 hours of getting it back into
a state, where I can work again. And still every update can still kill your
system, so you must be very, very carefull at the moment.

One last thing: During the upgrade I changed from kernel 3.16 to kernel 4.X.
At boot the system hangs several minutes, when it activates the network
devices (same with lan and wlan). This behaviour appears since 4.X, with 3.16
everything worked fine! This was also already discussed in some forums. IMO
this is also a bug, so I filed a bugreport to the kernel-team.

I guess, my problems may appear at other users, too, although most of them may
not want to tell it in this list. And I repeat, I do not want to mourn, just
tell about my experiences.

Thanks for reading.

Best regards

Hans