Re: Status of repository debian/testing?

On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 13:28:51 +0200
Hans <hans.ullrich@loop.de> wrote:

>Hi folks,
>
>since some months the debian repository of testing and unstable looks in a
>strange state. AFAIK this is caused by the change to GCC5.
>
>Please understand, that I do not want to mourne. Instead I would like to know,
>if I have to do something or just wait.
>
>When I do an aptitude full-upgrade, there appear a lot of unresolved
>dependencies. Worse with using apt-get: apt-get wants to deinstall lots of
>packages (kde, libreoffice and so on.)
>
>So, can someone tell me in a few words, what is the state of the repo? Of
>course, if I have to change something on my systems (for example to force to
>install special packages, get rid of special libs or whatever), please let me
>know.
>
>On the other hand, please understand, that I want to use KDE further on, and
>want to keep libreoffice, amarok and all the other (mostly kde related) apps,
>which are installed at the moment.
>
>Here is the output of aptitude full-upgrade (not complete):
>
>------------------- snip -----------

>475 packages upgraded, 123 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
>Need to get 678 MB of archives. After unpacking 745 MB will be used.
>The following packages have unmet dependencies:
>(then follows a list of tons of libraries and dependencies)
>open: 4951; closed: 6296; defer: 5; conflict: 5
>No solution found within the allotted time.  Try harder? [Y/n]
>
>(Enetering "n" gives me)
>Resolve these dependencies by hand? [N/+/-/_/:/?]
>

>------------------- snap ----------------
>
>For me it looks like, there are only 5 conflicts (or does this mean 5 libs?),
>which breaks the update. Can this be easily solved? Really, any hints are
>welcome. At the moment, I am aborting the upgrade due to this messages.
>
>Thanks for reading.
>
>Best regards
>
>Hans
>
>P.S. Please feel free to ask for more info.

Might be a few KDE packages still waiting, but I did a fresh full
installation of Testing with Xfce two days ago. It ran smooth, with no
packages on hold. Updates have been working fine here for about a week.

--
Charlie Kravetz
Linux Registered User Number 425914