Re: iceweasel download panel uses gimp for pdf [SOLVED]

I'm happy to report that using open with (and then remember application association) from KDE's dolphin file browser did work to reset the open behavior from iceweasel's download panel.  I used this to reset both pdf and directory associations.

After this exercise the ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list, which previously  did not exist, was present and contained
[Added Associations]
application/pdf=kde4-okular.desktop;
inode/directory=kde4-dolphin.desktop;

Apparently iceweasel pays attention to this file, even though KDE didn't need it to open the right applications.

I still don't know where iceweasel was getting its original  file associations.  Joe (below) mentioned that iceweasel has its own database; this is true, but is not where the associations were coming from (see my original post for details).

Thanks everyone for your help.
Ross

On Sat, Sep 19, 2015 at 1:21 AM, Joe <joe@jretrading.com> wrote:
On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 07:36:43 +0200
<tomas@tuxteam.de> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 07:28:29PM -0700, Jimmy Johnson wrote:
> > On 09/18/2015 07:11 PM, Ross Boylan wrote:
> > >When I download a pdf in iceweasel and click on the download icon
> > >to open the list of downloaded files, and click  on a pdf file,
> > >gimp starts.
> > >
> > >I want okular to be used instead.  How can I do that from the
> > >download panel?  (I know I can open the file independently).
> > >
> > >Also, when I open the containing folder (from the same download
> > >panel) gwenview starts.  I want a regular file browser.
> > >
> > >I can't figure out where this is set.  The pdf application
> > >association in iceweasel has "always download"; I think these are
> > >settings for embedded content on web pages, and don't control file
> > >associations from the download pane.
> > >
> > >I'm running under KDE; it lists okular as the  top file
> > >association for pdf, though gimp is an alternate.
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > Right click on a .pdf file, choose open with, other, drop down box
> > choose Okular. Done.
>
> Explanation: there is a system global "database" which associates the
> MIME type of a file with the preferred application(s) to open it (with
> many kludges inherited from Windows, alas).

Indeed, but Iceweasel (and possibly other browsers) has its own
independent database, which allows an application to be selected, or
the user asked at download time. Open Preferences, then Application.

> For some strange reason The Gimp has been associated to
> "application/pdf". Now every user has to correct that to some
> sensible PDF viewer.

Not in my sid, which has Evince, now known as 'Document Viewer' set for
pdfs. I must find another PostScript viewer, as Evince is also set for
that, and it's rubbish at displaying the few PS files it can open
without crashing...

--
Joe