RAID 1 System Installation Question

I've used Debian Linux for a number of years but up until now always with a single hard drive.

I want to build a new system that will have a pair of 1TB drives configured as a RAID-1 mirror. In reading the mdadm Wiki the discussion begins with installing mdadm.

My goal is to have a system where if either drive fails things will a) continue to run from a single drive, and b) be able to replace the failed drive with a new one of the same size and have the system rebuild into a mirrored array again.

It is not clear to me how I need to begin the installation sequence.

My question: Do I install Debian to a single drive and will installing mdadm then allow me to add the second disk and setup RAID? Do I need to configure each drive in some way before installing Debian and then mdadm?

If there is an up-to-date "how to" that describes this please just point me there. I have not found anything that seems to start at the point where I just have bare metal.

Regards,

Tim