not authorized to control networking

I am trying to connect to a wireless access point through the network
manager applet in KDE but getting the following error

Failed to add connection
Not authorized to control networking

steps to reproduce
1. click on the network manager applet in KDE panel
2. select wireless network of interest and click the "connect" button
3. Enter the password
This gives the following error

Failed to add connection
Not authorized to control networking

I am using Panda wireless USB adapter. The following packages are
installed on this system which is mix of Debian Wheezy and Jessie

% dpkg -l network-manager cgmanager kde-full firmware-ralink
plasma-widget-networkmanagement
||/ Name                        Version            Architecture
Description
+++-===========================-==================-==================-===========================================================
ii  cgmanager                   0.33-2+deb8u2      amd64
Central cgroup manager daemon
ii  firmware-ralink             0.43               all
Binary firmware for Ralink wireless cards
ii  kde-full                    5:84               all
complete KDE Software Compilation for end users
ii  network-manager             0.9.10.0-7         amd64
network management framework (daemon and userspace tools)
ii  plasma-widget-networkmanage 0.9.3.4-2          all
Transitional package for plasma-nm

 % /sbin/iwconfig
eth0      no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11bgn  ESSID:off/any
          Mode:Managed  Access Point: Not-Associated   Tx-Power=20 dBm
          Retry short limit:7   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
          Power Management:off

eth1      no wireless extensions.

lo        no wireless extensions.

I am part of the netdev and plugdev groups.

% id
uid=1000(rajulocal) gid=1000(rajulocal)
groups=1000(rajulocal),24(cdrom),25(floppy),29(audio),30(dip),44(video),46(plugdev),104(scanner),107(bluetooth),109(netdev),122(lpadmin)

Any suggestions as to how to fix this?

thanks
raju