Re: Upgrading Debian

Quoting Himanshu Shekhar (irm2015006@iiita.ac.in):
> I just want to make sure again. How can one upgrade from one version of Debian
> to other without losing data or without formatiing the partition, simply as
> Ubuntu does.

The more times you ask, the more different answers you will receive.
At some point you have to dive in and do it, just as you yourself
have encouraged others to do (probably unwisely in that case):

> An earlier mail in this mailing list stated to reboot from iso image and
> install in the same old traditional way.

I'm not sure what you mean by "old traditional way", particularly as
you have muddied the waters by bringing up Ubuntu. But, at face value,
that doesn't sound like an upgrade but more like a reinstallation.
Not knowing which thread you were referring to, I can't comment further.

> This Facebook post states something else, and I couldn't make sure what to do
> without bricking up my hard configured system.

I'm not sure what you mean by "bricking". If you follow the
instructions on the Debian website, you won't go far wrong.
If/when you do, you'll learn something, and by all means post specific
questions here if you need help.

> https://www.facebook.com/groups/lifewithdebian/permalink/10153149941663977/

Sorry, but I've no idea what I'm meant to see at that address.

The upshot is to try doing it, rather than asking for people here to
post what's already amply documented on Debian.

Cheers,
David.