Re: Upgrading Debian

On 9/14/2015 2:33 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
I know.  It took me a while to work out what he actually wanted with all the
drama. ;-)  People who come from Ubuntu don't understand about point
releases.  Since I don't know Ubuntu, I don't know what it is that they are
thinking of.

Lisi

I do run Ubuntu LTS on a machine at my work place and I don't know what the thinking is
either. :-\

If there is an actual new release the update manager tells you about it and gives you the
option to upgrade, no mucking about with sources.list files, ISOs, etc...
After the upgrade you then have to go through any *.list files in '/etc/apt/sources.list.d/' if you have any to re-enable them and make sure they point where they need do. Not sure what happens if you have unofficial stuff in your sources.list instead of in placing
them in their own *.list files.

Personally I prefer editing my *.list files and pulling in smaller batches of updates.

For point releases, if you keep up with the updates you probably have most of it by the time install images are made available anyway so just keep doing updates the same way
no reason to re-install.

There is a possibility of some driver/init related stuff being a little different in a re-install compared to just doing the normal update, but the odds of noticing the difference is pretty
small so.... If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

In the general sense, more or less the same as it is with Debian.:-)

Later, Seeker