Re: Upgrading Debian

On 2015-09-13 10:12, Jarle Aase wrote:
On 09/13/2015 10:57 AM, Himanshu Shekhar wrote:
I just want to make sure again. How can one upgrade from one
version of Debian to other without losing data or without
formatiing the partition, simply as Ubuntu does. An earlier mail in
this mailing list stated to reboot from iso image and install in
the same old traditional way. This Facebook post states something
else, and I couldn't make sure what to do without bricking up my
hard configured system.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/lifewithdebian/permalink/10153149941663977/

What

I usually do is to update /etc/apt/sources to the version I want
to upgrade to. Then I log out from X and log on to the console.

# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
# apt-get dist-upgrade

Then reboot.

This has only failed when I have tried to upgrade to broken "testing"
versions.

As always, make a backup before you start :)

Jarle

Same (almost) for me:

$ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

(I don't remember if I even needed to reboot)

I stayed with stable and I never experienced failure