Re: Upgrading Debian

On 09/13/2015 10:57 AM, Himanshu Shekhar wrote:
> I just want to make sure again. How can one upgrade from one
> version of Debian to other without losing data or without
> formatiing the partition, simply as Ubuntu does. An earlier mail in
> this mailing list stated to reboot from iso image and install in
> the same old traditional way. This Facebook post states something
> else, and I couldn't make sure what to do without bricking up my
> hard configured system.
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/lifewithdebian/permalink/10153149941663977/

What

I usually do is to update /etc/apt/sources to the version I want
to upgrade to. Then I log out from X and log on to the console.

# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade
# apt-get dist-upgrade

Then reboot.

This has only failed when I have tried to upgrade to broken "testing"
versions.

As always, make a backup before you start :)

Jarle